Safe Homes, Safe Communities
Center for Advancing Domestic Peace allies with community leaders and stakeholders, survivors of domestic violence, as well as women and men who are committed to non-violence and mutually respectful intimate relationships with the aim of creating community-based and culturally appropriate activities that challenge traditional social norms perpetuating domestic abuse and gender violence.
Serving beyond our four walls
The Center conducts an extensive schedule of community outreach activities often in conjunction with Chicago Police Department districts with which it collaborates or with its primary victim services partners, Connections for Abused Women and their Children (CAWC) and Family Rescue as well as other victim service providers and community agencies. The Center is an active member of the Chicago Metropolitan Battered Women’s Network and agency staff members present the segment on Partner Abuse Intervention for the Network and three other victim service agencies as a part of their 40-hour training program. Additionally, the Center’s staff members serve as guest lecturers for both graduate and undergraduate classes addressing domestic violence in fields including social work, law, and behavioral health at various schools including Chicago State University, Dominican University, John Marshall Law School, Chicago-Kent Law School, Loyola University (Graduate School of Social Work, Law School), University of Illinois (Jane Addams College of Social Work) and the University of St. Francis in Joliet.
Past Outreach and Community Events include:
- A Day of Victories Conference
- City of Chicago Domestic Violence Coordinated Community Response Council Advisory Participation
- Futures without Violence Conference
- Family Violence and the Law Guest Lecture at Chicago-Kent College of Law
- University of Illinois at Chicago Panel Discussion on Perpetrator Accountability
- Salvation Army Domestic Violence Panel
- Run Domestic Violence Out of Town Steering Committee
- Residents Association of Greater Englewood Planning Meeting
- Attendance at various community marches and rallies